HP printers come with a great build and features that allow them to function smoothly. But it is also common for users to face different errors while using them. These errors are mainly technical in nature. So, average users don’t know what to do when they arrive. For instance, when you find an HP printer in an error state, you can feel confused about how to resolve it.
To make matters worse, your printer does not go into an error state due to a single simple cause. There are plenty of variables that make your printer go into an error state. In this article, we will discuss possible causes and the corresponding methods you can implement to make your HP printer work usually.
What does HP Printer in Error State Means?
This specific error message indicates an issue with your printing device. The most common trigger behind it is a recent Windows update. This update interrupts the communication between the printer and your computer. Apart from this, this error can also point to the faulty connection of cables.
Some quick thing that you can do to resolve this error message is to ensure that your printer is switched on. It should be linked to the PC via cable or Wi-Fi. It’s also a good measure to examine for low ink or paper.
Why Is Your HP Printer in Error State Windows 10?
In this section, you will find the main causes of your HP printing device going into an error state. When you know these causes, you can better undertake the troubleshooting.
- Your HP printer is offline.
- The printer is not set as your default printer.
- There’s a temporary glitch in your printer settings.
- Your printing device
- Is not properly connected to your computer.
- The printer drivers are corrupt and need an update.
- Insufficient pages or ink levels in your printer.
- The spooler service is not running.
Fixes to Use When HP Printer Is in An Error State
If you’re certain about a specific cause making your printer in an error state, you can follow the fix for it. But if you’re unsure, implement all the fixes below and see which one gives you the desired result.
1. Ensure that Your Printer Isn’t Offline
An HP printer that is offline frequently gives this error message. Here is how to examine and ensure that your printer isn’t offline.
- Open the ‘Run‘ box by going to the search bar.
- Here, input ‘control panel’ and hit ‘OK.’
- Choose the ‘Devices and Printer’s option.
- From the printer list, right-tap on your HP printer.
- Take away the checkmark beside the ‘Use printer offline option‘.
2. Set your HP Printing Device As the Default
If the printer is in an error state HP problem can also arise if you haven’t put your device in the default mode. Here is how you can set your HP printer as the default printer.
- Open the ‘Run‘ box from your Windows system’s Start menu.
- Use this dialog box to head to the section of ‘Control Panel.’
- Choose ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Head to your HP printer and right-tap on it.
- Now select ‘Set as default printer’.
- You’ll see a green checkmark on the icon of your HP printer.
- It means that the printer has been set as default.
3. Fix the Minor Glitch by Using the Troubleshooter
Sometimes, you cannot pinpoint exactly what is causing your HP printer in an error state. So, the best option is to employ the in-built troubleshooter in your Windows 10 system. Your printer should be switched on and well-connected to your system.
- Input ‘troubleshoot’ in the ‘Start‘ search area.
- You will view different options from which you need to tap ‘Troubleshooting.’
- Now, tap ‘View all‘ in the window that opens and locate the ‘Print‘ option.
- Tap the ‘Advanced‘ option in the subsequent window.
- Now, click ‘Run as administrator.’
- Click ‘Next‘ to begin the troubleshooting process.
- After a few minutes, the troubleshooter will detect and fix the problem.
4. Reconnect the Power Cables
Reconnecting the power cables is also a simple fix when you find the printer is in an error state at HP. Use the following process to make your printer functional again.
- Remove the power cable from your HP device.
- Do it when your printer is switched on.
- Now, disconnect other cables as well.
- Locate the ‘Power‘ button of your printing device and press and hold it.
- Do it for around 15 seconds.
- Your HP printing device should be linked to the wall outlet.
- It should not be connected to a search protector.
- Now, reconnect the power cable.
- You will find the printer switching on by itself.
5. Update the Outdated Drivers
Outdated drivers often interfere with the functioning of the printer. You must keep your printer drivers updated at all times.
- Tap ‘Start‘ and go to the ‘Device Manager.’
- Choose the option of ‘Expand Printers.’
- Check if your HP printer model is present here.
- If it is, right-tap on it and select ‘Update driver.’
- After the driver update process completes, reboot your HP printing device and the computer.
- Print a document to examine if the problem has been resolved.
Related Post:- Why the Hp Printer Driver is Unavailable
6. Check for Inadequate Pages and Ink Levels
You will undoubtedly find your printer in an error state if there are fewer than recommended pages in the tray. Additionally, low ink levels also lead to this issue. So, you must check for both.
It’s crucial for you to have at least 25 sheets in the printer input tray. Load your tray with sheets and start your printing device again. When it starts, let it remain idle for some time and then give the print command. See if your printer works fine.
Also, examine the level of ink on the display of the control panel. If the levels are very low, you need to change the ink cartridge.
7. Enable the Spooler Service to Run
Are your printer spooler services running? If not, that could be why your HP printer is in an error state. But it’s not difficult at all to make the spooler services run and fix this glitch.
- Head to the search bar and trigger the run dialog box.
- In this box, enter ‘services.msc.’
- A window will appear. You can scroll down through it and look for the spooler option.
- It must be in the Running state.
- You must also check that the spooler services are configured automatically.
- If they are not, double-tap on it.
- Afterward, hit the ‘Apply’ button.
- Now, find the ‘Recovery‘ tab.
- You will find the option ‘First Failure.’
- Here, pick the ‘Restart the service’ option and then click ‘Apply.’
- Now, your HP printer will not be in an error state.
8. Reinstall Your Printer Driver
Another easy way to fix a printer in an error state HP is to reinstall your printing device’s driver. It will ensure that any technical glitches are eliminated. In order to reinstall the driver, open ‘Programs & Features‘ in your system. Now, find your HP printer and select it. After that, you only need to uninstall it. Now, simply reinstall the driver
9. Configure a USB Printer Connection in Your Windows
After you install additional drivers but still find the error state message, try adding a USB-connected printer. Follow these pointers to add it.
- Look for the ‘Change device installation settings‘ in the Windows search.
- Here, place a tick beside ‘Yes (Recommended).’
- Check that you have an open USB port available.
- Now, switch on your HP printer and link the USB cable to it and to your system port.
- If you view the message, ‘Found new hardware‘, adhere to the prompts for installing the printer.
- Now look for ‘Add a printer or scanner‘ in Windows search.
- Tap this option and let your Windows detect available printers.
- If your printer gets detected, tap it and click ‘Add device.’
- But if it isn’t found, tap ‘The printer that I want isn’t listed.’
- In the window to locate a printer by other options, choose the option, ‘Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.’
- Hit ’Next.’
- Now, choose ‘Use an existing port‘ and ‘USB 001: (Virtual printer port for USB)‘ in the ‘Choose a printer port.’
- Tap ’Next.’
- Go by the instructions to set up the driver.
10. Update Your Operating System
It’s always wise to work with an updated operating system. Older versions are prone to many technical glitches, including this one. Here is how you can update your Windows 10 operating system.
- Launch ‘Settings‘ by hitting the Windows key + I.
- Now on the settings screen, tap ‘Update & Security.’
- From the left sidebar, tap ‘Windows update.’
- Now tap ‘Check for updates.’
- After that, you can install all the available updates.
11. Modify the Port Settings
Making changes in port settings can also help if you find that your HP printer is in an error state. Follow these points to change port settings.
- Open the ‘Run‘ box. Now, input ‘devmgmt.msc.’
- Now hit Enter to launch the ‘Device Manager.’
- From the top ‘View‘ menu, choose ‘Show hidden devices.’
- Double-tap on ‘Ports (COM & LPT).’
- When this option expands, view the devices here.
- Now right-tap ‘Printer port.’
- From the context menu, choose ‘Properties.’
- Head to ‘Port settings.’
- Place a tick on the option ‘Use any interrupt assigned to the port.’
- Now deactivate ‘Enable legacy plug and play detection.’
- Finally, tap ‘OK.’
- After this procedure, reboot your system.
- See if the error is still there.
Read Also:- Why Hp Printer Won’t Print Black?
Hopefully, this comprehensive guide on resolving HP Printer in error state will prove helpful to you. The various measures are easy to implement, and you can refer to this guide whenever you face this issue. However, if you feel you need more advanced troubleshooting or the problem persists, connect with an expert HP Printer Help Services.