HP printers serve uncountable users worldwide. However, frequently, you might encounter different printer errors. One of the most confusing ones is when you find the HP printer printing gibberish. This occurs if the data your printer receives is corrupted. It is a very common problem and is typically seen with printers having corrupt drivers.
If you’ve been struggling to troubleshoot this issue, keep reading this article. Here you will find the chief causes and ways to fix it.
Read Also: Why Epson Printer In Error States
Reasons for HP Printer Printing Gibberish
As mentioned above, the main reason for it is the printer receiving corrupt data. Here are some other reasons leading to the issue.
- Damaged cables and ports
- Connection issues
- Faulty print settings
- Outdated printer driver
Troubleshoot HP Printer Printing Gibberish
This is a technical error that you can fix using some proven solutions. Use these methods and make your print give you the needed output.
1. Cancel the Print Task and Reset the Printer
Canceling the print job is one of the first steps to take when unexpected text prints from your HP printer. After that, reset it.
- Open the ‘Control Panel’ on your system.
- Tap ‘View devices and printers.’
- Double-tap on your HP printer and then double-click ‘See what’s printing.’
- Tap the print job to cancel and press ‘Document.’
- Click ‘Cancel’ followed by ‘Yes.’
- Now, disconnect the printer’s power cord.
- Wait for about 60 seconds before reconnecting.
- Reconnect it to the wall outlet and try printing.
2. Update your Printer Driver
A simple update of the printer driver can fix many performance issues, such as the HP printer not printing color.
- In the Run box, type ‘devmgmt.msc.’
- Press ‘OK.’
- Now, double-tap ‘Print Queues.’
- Expand this section.
- From the different devices that appear, right-tap your printer.
- Choose ‘Update driver.’
- Choose ‘Search automatically for drivers.’
- Windows will find the pending driver updates and install them.
- Reboot your system.
- Now, see if the printer is printing gibberish.
Point To Note: Another option to update drivers is to visit the manufacturer’s website. Here you will find the exact driver for your printer model.
3. Link your HP Printer to your System
Have you connected your printer via a USB hub? Try linking the printer straight to the system through a USB cable.
- Power off the wireless signal if your HP printing device is linked wirelessly.
- Remove Ethernet or USB cables from your printer.
- Turn off your printer.
- Now restart it after a few minutes.
- Link the USB cables straight from your printing device to your computer.
Note:- Refrain from positioning the printer near a dry or humid place. You must also not place it near an air conditioner.
4. Reinstall your HP printer
There might be a glitch in your existing printer software, which is leading to this problem. So, if you still find the HP printer printing gibberish, reinstall it.
- Access the Control Panel.
- Now, tap ‘Hardware and Sound.’
- After that, choose ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Now, right-tap on the printer you wish to remove below the Printer section.
- Tap the ‘Remove device’ option.
- After that, reinstall your printer.
5. Use the Printer Troubleshooter
An in-built printer troubleshooter in the Windows system is a good way to fix many printing issues. If you find an HP printer not printing black or printing gibberish, a troubleshooter may resolve the issue.
- Hit the ‘Start’ button and choose ‘Settings.’
- Now, tap ‘Update and security.’
- Go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ tab.
- Click on ‘Printer’ followed by ‘Run the troubleshooter.’
- Windows will run this utility and start scanning for printer problems.
- It’ll recommend you fixes.
- Follow its guidelines and reboot the system.
- Now, give a print command and check for improvement in the output.
6. Examine the Printer Cartridges
When you notice HP printer print gibberish, it is wise to take a look at your printer cartridges. Are you using genuine HP cartridges? If not, purchase genuine ones.
- Firstly, check for any signs of damage on the cartridges.
- They should not have any tears, leaks, or broken pieces.
- If they are damaged, replace them.
- Power on your printer.
- Lift its top cover.
- Let the cartridge come to the center.
- Push the tab on the cartridge’s front, lift it up, and remove the old cartridge.
- Install the new cartridge.
- Slide every cartridge into the empty slot.
- It must click into place.
- Close the lid of the printer.
7. Install the Printer via TCP/IP Ports
Some people find that their HP printer is printing gibberish after updating to Windows 11. The HP Envy Photo 6255 printer model particularly gives this issue. A good fix is to check for the pending Windows updates and then install the printer through a TCP/IP port.
- Head over to the ‘Control Panel’ on your PC.
- From here, head to ‘Devices and printers.’
- Clear the existing printer entry from this section.
- After that, tap ‘Add a printer.’
- Go below the ‘Choose a device or printer’ option.
- Tap ‘The printer I want isn’t listed.’
- Now, pick the ‘Add a printer using a TCP/IP address’ option.
- Get the IP address of your printer by touching the Wireless or Ethernet icon.
- On the Host Name or IP address box, input the address.
- Tap ‘Next.’
- You will get various instructions on the screen.
- Follow all of them.
- In the end, try printing.
8. Print Using Another Tool
As a last fix, you can print from another application.
- Access a software application other than the faulty one.
- Open a file in the new application.
- Now, print this file.
- If the document prints properly in the alternate software, your problem has been fixed.
- It indicates that the software where the problem arises is the main cause.
- You must continue printing from another software only in the future.
- If you want more help, connect with a software manufacturer.
- As a last resort, you can get your HP printer serviced.
- It might be that it needs a replacement or repair.
Read Also: Why HP Printer Says Offline
Now whenever you notice your HP printer printing gibberish, use these measures. It is essential to have updated printer drivers as this is the leading cause of the problem. I hope this information is beneficial for you. If you need you can contact our HP printer expert.