HP printer users sometimes face a peculiar problem. After giving a print command, you may find only half of the page getting printed. Various software and hardware issues cause one to complain of an HP printer only printing half page.
Additionally, you might have set your printer preferences in a way that causes pages to come out half-blank. HP printers manufactured after 2010 also support web services and cloud-based printing services. Their firmware needs to be updated to get the correct outputs.
In this post, we will help you uncover the causes and resolutions of this common HP printer issue.
Reasons for HP Printer Only Printing Half Page
The following are the chief causes for your HP printer to produce a half-blank output. You need to resolve them to get complete output.
- The loaded paper is not completely blank.
- Low ink levels in the cartridge
- An error in your printing machine
- The firmware is not updated or the recent updates are problematic
- Incorrect printer configuration
- The app you are printing from has a problem
Resolve HP Printer Only Prints Half Page
Now follow the fixes below to get the desired output from the HP printer.
1. Install firmware updates
are you facing this issue with an HP printer released in or after 2010? These support Web Services and cloud-based printing such as ePrint, and printer apps so that you can print directly from your control panel. But to work optimally, you must update their firmware. Follow these steps to get the latest updates.
- Go to the ‘Printer Update’ feature.
- If your HP printer has the ePrint button, touch it.
- Now press ‘Settings‘ followed by ‘Product Update.’
- If your printer has text-based menus, choose the ‘Setup,’ ‘Service,’ or the ‘Settings‘ menu
- Choose ‘Preferences‘ followed by ‘Web Services.’
- Now choose ‘Printer Update.’
- Go by the onscreen instructions to turn on Web Services and set up automatic updates.
- If your HP printer does not automatically start the update process, pick the ‘Check for Updates‘ option.
2. Uninstall Problematic Updates
Sometimes printer updates come with bugs and can cause various issues in printing. So, uninstall recent updates and check if you find the HP printer printing only half page.
- Launch ‘Settings’ and tap ‘Update & security.’
- Now, navigate to ‘Windows Update.’
- Click the ‘View Update History’ button.
- Tap ‘Uninstall updates.’
- Select the problematic update and uninstall it.
- Select ‘Yes’ and restart your system.
3. Configure the Printer Correctly
Incorrect printer configuration makes the printer print incorrectly. So, checking the settings is essential in finding that your HP printer only prints half page.
- In the ‘Control Panel’ navigate toward ‘Hardware and sound.’
- Now, hit ‘Devices and printer.’
- Right-click on your HP printer and choose ‘Printer preferences.’
- Go to the dropdowns of ‘Original Size’ and ‘Output Size.’
- Choose the page size you have given to the printer in these dropdowns.
- Tap ‘Apply’ and give a test print command.
- After that, open a document and go to the ‘Layout’ tab.
- Launch the ‘Size’ dropdown.
- Pick the appropriate size.
- Now, print the document.
4. Examine the Printer Ink Cartridges
Another common cause of this problem is ink cartridges with low ink levels. So, examining your printer cartridges and seeing if they have adequate ink is essential. This fix is also useful for those who find their HP printer not printing black or color.
- Access the HP Printer Assistant app on your Windows system.
- After that, click on the ‘Estimated cartridge levels’ tab.
- Now, the app will show you the estimated ink cartridge levels.
- If you find low ink levels or unsatisfactory levels of ink, replace the cartridges.
- Ensure to use genuine ink cartridges from HP.
- In case the ink levels are satisfactory, find out whether the cartridges have expired or not.
5. Get the Latest Printer Drivers
You must have the latest printer drivers to prevent yourself from facing print performance issues. If the drivers are not updated, it is common to notice HP printer not printing color.
- Hit the Windows key and R.
- This will launch the Run box.
- On it, type ‘control’ and click ‘OK.’
- Once you come to the ‘Control Panel’ tap ‘Hardware and Sound.’
- After that, click ‘Devices and printers.’
- Now, choose the HP printer that’s giving you a half-page output.
- Tap the ‘Printer Server Properties‘ tab.
- After that, tap the ‘Drivers’ tab.
- Now, choose your printer from the list of installed ones.
- Tap the ‘Remove…’ button.
- After that, choose ‘Remove driver only.’
- Tap ‘OK’ so the driver gets removed,
- Confirm your action by clicking ‘Yes.’
- Restart your system and after that, get the HP printer setup software from the official HP website.
- Run this software.
- Choose ‘Connect a new printer.’
- Follow all the instructions to install your printer.
- Now, print a test page and check the output.
6. Clean the Printhead
Cleaning the printheads will also fix output problems. So, carry out a printhead cleaning if you find an HP printer only printing half page or not printing color.
- Take a dry paper towel.
- Fold it and keep it in a container.
- Submerge the paper towel fully.
- Take away the ink cartridges from the printer.
- Set them aside on a paper towel.
- Now, clean the printhead.
- Lift the grey latch behind the cartridge carriage.
- It will release the printhead from the device.
- Pull up the printhead and remove it from the printer.
- Take a lint-free cloth and dampen it.
- Use it to clean the excess ink on the printhead nozzles.
- Now, keep the printhead in the container with paper towels.
- Let the nozzle face down.
- Do not touch it because it can get damaged quickly.
- Allow the printhead 10 minutes to soak in the water.
- Now, take it out from the container and let it dry for 15 minutes.
- Lastly, reinstall the printhead into your printer.
- Secure its latch.
- Reinstall the cartridge and use the cleaning function.
Read Also: Why HP Printer Not Feeding Paper
The Bottom Line
Now you can erase your worries about getting the correct print output. Use these measures when you find an HP printer only printing half page and fix the problem. You can also avail of professional help from our HP printer technical expert easily share your problem and get the solution.