HP printers offer many exceptional features. But sometimes, it may not connect to your network. Users commonly complain about HP printer not connecting to Wi-Fi. Common reasons for this problem include a power outage, an incorrect connection process, many print queue jobs, and software issues. You can connect your HP printer to Wi-Fi using various methods. These include the auto wireless connection, wireless setup, and WPS Push button mode of connection. In this post, we’ll help you troubleshoot the issue of your printer not connecting to Wi-Fi.
Read Also: Why Hp Printer Says Offline
Fixes for HP Printer Not Connecting to Wi-Fi
Here are some proven fixes to help you eliminate this error and start using your printer wirelessly.
1. Ensure that your Wi-Fi network and printer configuration meet connection requirements
Try these things to fix the wireless connection problem with your HP printer.
- Turn on your system and printer again.
- Your printer should not be linked to your system via the USB cable as it blocks the Wi-Fi setup.
- Ensure that you have enabled the 2.4 GHz router band and broadcasting.
- If you use Mac, use a router that supports the network discovery software of Apple, Bonjour.
- Access the list of available networks on your system.
- Reconnect to your regular Wi-Fi network.
- Finally, move the HP printer nearer to the router and see if the connection status improves.
2. Fix an unsteady Wi-Fi connection
Are you unable to connect HP printer to Wi-Fi even after the printer shows that it is successfully connected? Use these pointers.
- Access a list of available networks on your system.
- If your network signal strength is weak, move the router closer to the system till the signal strength increases.
- Access a website to find out whether the internet is working properly.
- Reduce the number of active devices on your network.
- Position your router in your house’s central location.
- Install firmware updates if necessary by connecting with your router manufacturer.
- Print a network configuration report.
3. Use the Right Process to Reconnect the Printer
You can connect your printer to Wi-Fi in various modes. But it’s essential to follow the right process to connect the printer. Here is how to reconnect the HP printer to Wi-Fi.
- Get the HP Smart App from the hpsmart.com website.
- Configure your printer in the Wi-Fi setup mode.
- Touchscreen printer users should press ‘Network Setup’ from the wireless menu and choose ‘Restore network settings.’
- HP printer users without a touchscreen should press and hold the ‘Cancel’ and ‘Wireless’ buttons.
- HP Laser printer users without a touchscreen should press and hold the ‘Wireless’ button.
- Do it till the Attention and Power lights flash.
- Now, launch HP Smart and choose ‘Set up a new printer.’
- The app will find nearby printers in Wi-Fi setup mode.
- After it finds your machine, tap ‘Setup.’
- Hit ‘Continue.’
- Now, enter the Wi-Fi password for the network your system is currently linked to.
- Confirm this password and tap ‘Continue.’
- You’ll get a prompt asking you to touch the checkmark on the printer display.
- If the printer doesn’t have a touchscreen, hit the ‘Information’ button on the printer.
4. Reboot the Printer and Move it Closer to the Router
Sometimes, a simple reboot is enough when an HP printer won’t connect to Wi-Fi. Press and hold the ‘Power’ button, so the printer shuts down. If the printer says “busy,” unplug it completely and plug it back in.
Do this whenever the printer drops its connection. After that, it’s time to troubleshoot the weak signals. Ensure that the printing device and router are in a single room. Nothing should block the signals from the router. Also, check the accuracy of the Wi-Fi name and password.
5. Connect your printer wirelessly with the right method
There are three primary ways to wirelessly connect your HP printer. Ensure to follow the suitable method correctly if you are unable to connect HP printer to Wi-Fi.
HP Auto Wireless Connect
- Navigate to the official HP support page.
- Download the printer software compatible with your device.
- After that, install it on your system.
- Turn on the HP device before running the software.
- Choose ‘Wireless’ when its prompt occurs.
- Tap ‘Yes, send my wireless settings to the printer (Recommended).’
- After a few minutes, the printer will connect and you can tap ‘Finish.’
HP printer Wi-Fi Setup for touchscreen printers
- Move your printer nearer to your router.
- On the printer’s control panel, click the wireless icon.
- Choose the network name you want to link to.
- Now, input the WEP or WPA key as the password for connection authentication.
Note – If you use a non-touchscreen HP printer, use the control panel to achieve the connection by hitting the Power button and Wi-Fi on the printer’s back.
Wi-Fi Protected Setup
- Move the printer closer to the Wi-Fi.
- Now press the Wi-Fi (Push) button on your printer.
- You need to press the ‘Wireless’ button for about 5 seconds.
- Keep doing it till the light begin flashing.
- Hold the router’s WPS button for two minutes.
- You must see the wireless light on the printer ceasing to flash.
- It means that your printer is linked wirelessly.
6. Update the Drivers
You can also troubleshoot the HP printer not connecting to Wi-Fi problem by updating your system with relevant software. It is essential to have the latest driver and software package to prevent connection issues.
Follow this method to update the driver with Windows update.
- Restart your system.
- Hit the Windows key.
- Look for ‘Check for updates.’
- If updates are pending, they will install automatically.
- Otherwise, press ‘Download’ to commence the installation process.
- To update the driver and device manager, open the ‘Device Manager.’
- Here, choose your printer and right-click it.
- Select ‘Update driver software.’
- Next, click the option, ‘Search automatically for updated driver software.’
- Use the onscreen guidelines and install the driver.
- Restart your system and check if there’s any issue.
Read Also: Why HP Printer Not Printing Colors Correctly
Connect HP Printer to Wi-Fi Easily
These measures will be helpful when you find your HP printer not connecting to Wi-Fi. You will not experience the hassle of going out and printing documents for work or personal use. If you need more help, connect with a printer support expert.