If you have been using an HP printer for some time, you might encounter errors occasionally. There can be a set of reasons for every type of error. But if you are getting error messages like “failed printhead” or HP printer not working, then it is related to the HP printer firmware update. Either your printer firmware is outdated or has bugs.
Before we get into how to update the printer firmware, let’s first understand what printer firmware is.
Read Also: How To Find HP Printer MAC Address
Role of HP Printer Firmware
Printer firmware is software that offers fundamental machine directives so that hardware may operate and interact with other programs. The software is developed to carry out operational activities.
Your HP Printer firmware consists of all the data required for the printer to function. In printers, a chip is installed during manufacturing that contains the software.
Why do We Need HP Printer Firmware Update?
Firmware instructs the printer what to print and how to print. HP releases firmware updates periodically to maintain the functional efficiency of its printers. Updates are required to fix technical glitches. Other than that, they also release printer firmware updates to add new functions and enhance cybersecurity.
You can update the printer’s firmware manually or set it for automatic update. But before installing any HP printer firmware update, you should check its compatibility with your printer and cartridge. Some updates can interfere with your printer’s workability.
Ways to Update HP Printer Firmware
There are three ways to update an HP Printer firmware:
1. Use HP Smart App to Update HP Printer Firmware
To update the firmware, follow the steps:
- Download HP smart app on your PC from the app store or 123.hp.com.
- Set up an account if you are using it for the first time and log in to avail all printer features.
- After logging in, go to the app’s home page and choose your printer’s name or picture.
- You can also use the “add printer” feature, and the app will find your printer.
- Once you find your printer, choose “Advanced settings” or “Printer home page (EWS)” from the Advanced menu.
- Now select “Tools or Web service.”
- From the list, tap on “Printer Updates or Product Update.”
- Then tap on “Check Now.”
- After clicking, any required HP printer firmware update will be downloaded and installed on your printer automatically.
2. Update HP Printer firmware via Printer Control Panel
Several HP printers provide firmware updates from the printer control panel when connected to the internet. Follow the steps to update printer firmware through your HP printer:
- Ensure that the printer is linked to a Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
- Now, start by selecting the “Setup, Service, or Settings menu” on the printer control panel.
- Then choose “Tools, Printer Maintenance, or Preferences.”
- Tap “LaserJet Update, Web Services, or Printer Update” from the selection list.
- You can follow the guidelines to enable “Web Services,” if requested.
- Lastly, tap on “Check for Updates” or an equivalent option, and your printer firmware will be updated.
3. Update Manually by Downloading Firmware from the HP Website
Follow the steps to download and install firmware for the windows system:
- First, connect your printer to your PC.
- Then, open the official HP website on your Windows PC.
- On the website homepage, go to the support tab and click “Software & drivers” to open.
- Tap on “Printers” option, and you will land on the “identify your printer” page.
- Now, enter your printer’s product name and details.
- After that, you will get a list of all the recommended drivers.
- Now, look for “firmware” from the list and download it.
- Once it’s downloaded, install the firmware as per the instructions.
- To ensure that firmware is updated, check your printer’s status on the update screen of the HP printer.
- If your printer doesn’t have a display screen then connect the printer temporarily to the PC with a USB cable. Now, wait for twenty seconds and tap to refresh. Check the tickbox next to the serial number. Whenever the status is Ready, click Update.
- Your printer’s firmware is set right if the status is Up-to-Date.
Warning: Avoid turning off the printer when updating the firmware. Your printer might suffer irreparable damage if you do it. For Mac, the steps are similar to Windows. You need to download the firmware from the HP website and install it as per the instruction. Then, look for your printer name on the updater screen. If it is not displaying you can get it by entering the IP address details of your printer. After that, review the updated results.
Pros and Cons of HP Printer Firmware Update
HP printer firmware update is not a completely bad deal. Some updates can make printing faster, fix systemic issues, and enhance the system to run more smoothly. The issue comes up with those updates that block the third-party compatible cartridge. Many people don’t prefer to update the firmware because of such threats.
It’s crucial to research the update before installation. It will help you analyze whether you need the update or not.
I hope this information will very useful for you. if you think that any much more information about us you can contact our HP printer technical expert.
FAQ related to HP Printer Firmware Update
1. Can I Undo the Update?
You can reverse an update by either setting your printer to “default factory settings” or by performing an HP printer firmware downgrade. Downgrading involves reinstallation of the previously updated version. But, before performing an upgrade downgrade, research its effect on your printer.
2. How to Stop Automatic Firmware Updates?
Open Control Panel on your printer display and go to “Setup”. Next, click “Update the Printer” under “Printer Maintenance.” You will see the “Printer update options,” uncheck the automatic update. When prompted “Do you want to allow Printer Updates? “, select “No.”
3. How to Know the Version of HP Printer Firmware?
There can be more than one way to know the HP printer firmware version. For a display screen printer follow these steps:
- Go to “Home” then click on “Printer information” and check the firmware version.
- Go to “Home” then click on the “Service” option from the “Setup” tab. To know the firmware version check the “Firmware Datecode.”
- Go to “Home” and open “Reports” from the “Setup” tab. Then click “Configuration reports”. “Product Information” will show up, look for the firmware version from the detail list.
4. How can I keep firmware upgrades from stopping my cartridges?
You may maintain the functionality of your cartridges by:
- Purchasing cartridges that are compatible and have the newest chip installed.
- Disable the “Automatic update” option for the printer. In this way, you will be able to review and select the right updates for your HP printer.